Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Linda Kaye Rogers gives speech at candidates forum

Following is the speech I gave at the PEC candidates forums. All candidates were given two minutes to speak. You can also view my speech by copying and pasting this url into your internet browser: http://www.pec.coop/CorpProfile/mov.aspx?mov=20090428_Forum_07.flv

"I am Linda Kaye Rogers, candidate for District 6. As a Board Director I will never forget that first and foremost, like you, I am a member/owner of PEC. When business comes before the Board, I will think about how it will effect each one of PEC’s diverse membership.

For the past year, I have been researching the issues that have come before the Board. I have attended ALL board meetings and public member hearings. I have listened to input from members, and assisted members in clarifying their questions about important issues at hand.

While the past year has seen many positive changes within our cooperative, PEC continues to face many critical issues. We are currently in the process of determining a new rate structure. We are committed to diversifying our power portfolio with renewables, while simultaneously juggling the need to control costs. These issues require a Board of Directors who can balance the need for fiscal responsibility with the necessary dedication to the cooperative principals of member ownership.

Like all the other candidates, I am dedicated to the continuance of transparency and responsible fiscal management. But I am also dedicated to forward-looking business practices. I believe in the power of today and the opportunities of tomorrow.

We are unique in that we are member/owners of the largest electric co-op in the nation. And, despite our troubled past, I believe our co-op is in a recovery mode and can become the shining star in the universe of co-ops. To move into 21st century business practices will require the unified efforts of a qualified Board. I am able to do this and committed to this task. As your District 6 Director, I will be your voice, your servant, and your guardian. I ask for your vote to allow me to continue the core business of PEC: keeping the lights on and the rates low. Thank you. "

No comments:

Post a Comment